Apologetics Summer Academy
Athanatos Christian Ministries has been offering educational opportunities for nearly a decade. Coming this summer, July 24 – August 4, 2017, ACM will offer its first ‘summer academy.’ The academy will be an in-depth investigation into the foundations of the Christian faith, with a deliberate emphasis on practical application of Christian apologetics (vocational apologetics).
The academy will be held in Greenwood, WI., at ACM’s offices.
Content covered at the academy reflects what ACM already addresses in its academic offerings and includes: The Bible, textual criticism, biblical archeology, church history, the ‘historical Jesus,’ evidence for the resurrection, God’s existence, worldview analysis, evolutionary ethics, intelligent design, creationism, various competing moral systems and their implications, philosophical arguments for and objections to Christian theism, the problem of pain, and cults and world religions. Particular emphasis in a given summer academy will depend on the particular areas of passion and expertise of the presenters and guest scholars.
Scroll to bottom for list of strongly suggested readings for the 2017 summer academy.
Who is this for?
Anyone with an interest in understanding the reasons and evidence for the truth of Christianity; in short, Christian apologetics. This is college level material that is accessible to enterprising, responsible high school and home schooled students. The program may benefit include youth directors, directors of Christian education, pastors, Sunday School teachers, and others involved in the ministry of the church. Grandparents and parents, seeking to raise their children and grandchildren in a well-grounded faith, will also find this program useful.
Approximately 50 hours of lecture/presentations taught by ACM staff and guest scholars over approximately 10 days.
It is anticipated that participants will use the unscheduled time for further reading, study, intense conversations, or actual application. Sessions are primarily in the morning and early afternoon.
Basic academy structure:
- 10-15 hours: An exhaustive defense of Christianity, from multiple angles and perspectives.
- 10-15 hours: Deeper exploration into specific subject areas (often, subjects relating to the specialties of the guest scholars).
- 5-10 hours: Integrating the faith’ module, focusing on ‘vocational’ apologetics, as well as ‘tactical’ strategies for defending the faith.
- 10-15 hours: In depth apologetics sessions tailored towards certificate program acceleration (ie, what is presented is determined largely by the needs of the participants actually attending the program.)
On August 3-4, 2017, sessions will be held in conjunction with ACM’s Christian arts and apologetics festival; no charge to academy participants or their families to attend the festival.
The main presenters at the 2017 academy are:
Guest Scholar: Dr. Richard Weikart:
Senior Fellow for the Discovery Institute, author of From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany, The Death of Humanity: and the Case for Life, and most recently, Hitler’s Religion: The Twisted Beliefs that Drove the Third Reich.
Dr. Anthony Horvath — Executive Director of Athanatos Christian Ministries. Author of The Golden Rule of Epistemology.
Dr. Wayne Rossiter — Atheist turned Christian; biology professor and critic of Darwinism, author of Shadow of Oz: Theistic Evolution and the Absent God.
Dr. Dylan Thompson — Chemistry professor at Concordia University, Wisconsin.
Others as deemed appropriate
Housing is included in the cost and may be either in a host family’s home or in an apartment unit. Breakfast and lunch is provided. Participant is on their own for most dinners. The participant may find lodging of his own, at his own expense, if he prefers.
Email Dr. Anthony Horvath at firstname.lastname@example.org directly to claim discount!
Includes free access to ACM’s Christian arts and apologetics festival, for both the participant and his family.
There are even more discounts available for those enrolled in ACM’s apologetics certificate program or literary apologetics certificate program. Progress through the certificate program can be accelerated through attendance at the summer academy and will be coordinated on a person by person basis.
Special offer! Anyone enrolled in both of ACM’s certificate programs can attend one of our summer academies for FREE!
To request more information or enroll, contact Dr. Anthony Horvath at email@example.com. Please whitelist this email, especially if you have a hotmail or yahoo account! Otherwise you may not see the reply!
Strongly Suggested Readings and Resources
The following resources have been submitted by the guest scholars as very useful background research to those attending the academy.
From Dr. Weikart:
Weikart’s segment will focus on dismantling secular ideologies, in the vein of II Cor. 10:4-5 (“casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ”). Special attention will be focused on the nature of truth (including the fact vs. value distinction) and on the value of human life.
In order of importance:
- Richard Weikart, The Death of Humanity: And the Case for Life
- Nancy Pearcey, Finding Truth: Five Principles for Unmasking Atheism, Secularism, and Other God Substitutes
- Frank Turek, Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
- C. S. Lewis, That Hideous Strength
- “War on Humans” – Discovery Institute, featuring Wesley Smith
- “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed” – Ben Stein
From Dr. Rossiter:
Dr. Rossiter will address the following areas: evolution, intelligent design, creationism, theistic evolution, and the origins of life. Time will be devoted to social Darwinism, Darwinistic materialism (particularly, issues of mind, conscience, and free will), and some futurism/transhumanism. Rossiter will bring out atheistic arguments that are in vogue in American universities for criticism.
- Humanist Manifesto (I,II and III) https://americanhumanist.org/what-is-humanism/manifesto3/
- From Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnfarrell/2016/03/19/its-time-to-retire-theistic-evolution/#31c1c20e5046
- Stephen Barr: https://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/12/chance-by-design
- Tom Wolfe: Sorry, but Your Soul Just Died
- Denis Alexander (submitted chapter in the Blackwell Companion): Creation and Evolution
From Dr. Horvath:
From Dr. Thompson:
Dr. Thompson will work with two main questions: What is the point of science? How should a Christian interact with the sciences? The time will include a discussion of the power of science and its limitations, how or when a Christian should or should not use scientific arguments in their apologetics, and the role of skeptical thought in the church and society. Also, as illustrative of many of these broad topics, we will consider a chemist’s view of evolution.
- Truth, Beauty, and Inorganic Chemistry, unpublished work, Dylan J. Thompson, Ph.D. Copyrighted pdf material will be provided. (Required)
- In Christ all Things Hold Together: https://www.cph.org/p-28560-in-christ-all-things-hold-together.aspx (Required)
- Hell House, Richard Matheson (Recommended)
Articles by James Tour, Ph.D. (synthetic chemist at Rice University):
- (Required) Evolution/Creation: http://www.jmtour.com/personal-topics/evolution-creation/
- (Recommended) Animadversions of a Synthetic Chemist: http://inference-review.com/article/animadversions-of-a-synthetic-chemist
- (Recommended) Two Experiments in Abiogenesis: http://inference-review.com/article/two-experiments-in-abiogenesis
- (Recommended) Chiral Induced Spin Selectivity: http://inference-review.com/article/chiral-induced-spin-selectivity